New blog post on the cost of compile time

Commander Zot no at no.no
Thu Jan 19 16:56:00 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 19 January 2023 at 16:39:17 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 1/19/23 11:22 AM, Commander Zot wrote:
>> On Thursday, 19 January 2023 at 15:19:06 UTC, Steven
>> Schveighoffer wrote:
>>
>>> I think we can all agree though that it is less than ideal to
>>> have to worry about the internal details of how templates are
>>> implemented.
>>>

>> i disagree with this.
>> - it makes the library harder to maintain.
>> - it hides the actual problem.
>> - people writing their own code will still be left with the
>> problem.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your disagreement with the quote.
>
> I think we are saying the same thing?
>
> -Steve
maybe i misunderstand your point, but let me express my thoughts
a bit more:

we should worry about the internal details of how templates are
implemented. they should be implemented in the most idiomatic way.
manually optimising the code and making it harder to understand
is suboptimal.
and doing it won't fix the same problem in user code. it really
just hides it.