Allocator-aware @safe reference counting is still not possible

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:21:37 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 24 January 2023 at 16:11:00 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> It's worth noting that D already has a bunch of special-case
> language rules that would be unified by adding `isolated`.
>
> [snip]
>
> Replacing all of these special cases with a single consistent
> set of rules would help simplify the language.

That's precisely what made the bottom type such a great DIP from
the perspective of use. However, as with the bottom type, it
isn't any easier to write the DIP nor implement nor debug it.
Meaning, in the long run we might well want `isolated`, but
allocator-aware reference counter should not be waiting for one -
which I think is what you said.