[OT] Scala Resurrection

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Wed Jan 25 21:39:25 UTC 2023

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 08:31:13PM +0000, RTM via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 January 2023 at 19:35:10 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>
> > It always comes back to the same problem - a lack of labor.
>
> Lack of labor is a second-order symptom. First-order symptom is a lack
> of motivation. The cause is this:
> D2 can’t be fully fixed because of backwards compatibility (important
> clients, big codebase).
> D3 can’t be created because of D/D2/Tango/Phobos PTSD.
> Stalemate.

IMO, Tango/Phobos PTSD is exaggerated.  The Tango/Phobos incident hasn't
mattered for at least a decade, and it actually sounds kinda funny when
people insist on bringing it back up from the dead.

I would totally support D3. As long as there's some kind of backward
compatibility mechanism (something akin to Rust editions) old code would
continue to work. And some code is worth breaking, if the breakage would
improve the quality of the code.

A mathematician learns more and more about less and less, until he knows
everything about nothing; whereas a philospher learns less and less
about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.