[OT] Scala Resurrection

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 11:30:02 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 26 January 2023 at 03:09:47 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 January 2023 at 23:45:58 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> There is a ton of work that can be done. Everyone instantly
>> jumps to language changes, which frankly are irrelevant in
>> terms of D seeing wider adoption. The language is already good
>> enough. Maybe not for every use case, but definitely good
>> enough to see much heavier usage.
>
> There are some language features that should not be neglected,
> the ones that are considered obvious to have in most modern
> languages, to name just one: Tagged Union with Pattern matching
>
> Having to still advocate for it in and still seeing this much
> resistance in 2023 is kinda sad, to be honest

I'm not sure what kind of resistance you are talking about, but
it would be useful to have some reassurance that the existing
language features (which are already "good enough" as stated by
bachmeier) won't be broken.

There are some useful language features that are missing. For
example, I want to be able to return multiple values from a
function and assign them to multiple variables, which is a
feature that is implemented by pretty much every other
programming language (even C++17 in the form of "structured
binding"). But if somebody says that we can have it in D only in
a way that breaks the existing software, then this won't make me
happy and you will see some "resistance".

Today D2 is useful for developing software. But it's like
building a house on a sleeping volcano. Even if everything is
relatively calm right now, nobody knows when it is going to erupt
and cause massive damage to the existing ecosystem. Also here's a
quote from the linked Scala post:

     "As part of this transformation, Scala 3 needs to commit to
backward
     compatibility, like Java, Go, and all other commercial
programming
     languages. There can never again be a “Scala 3”-style
boil-the-ocean,
     greenfield language rewrite. It’s time for the language to
stabilize,
     and for the focus to shift to commercial interests, including
bug fixes,
     improved performance, enhanced tool support, and optimizing."