Allocator-aware @safe reference counting is still not possible

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:39:30 UTC 2023

On Monday, 30 January 2023 at 18:59:38 UTC, Richard (Rikki)
Andrew Cattermole wrote:
> Perfect solution: all code is mechanically checked.
>
> Good solution: library and under the hood code gets audited,
> user code of the library code gets mechanically checked.

I believe we all have considered the latter good enough from the
get go. It does not matter whether the language primitives or
Phobos functions give the guarantees. All that matters is what
the user can write without dabbling with `@system` or `@trusted`
code him/herself.

I'd even argue it's not necessarily even worse than the "perfect"
solution. Phobos can have bugs, but so can the language-level
checker.