D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 18:18:35 UTC 2023

On Friday, 30 June 2023 at 17:55:38 UTC, Z3Solver wrote:
> It feels like you need to take the Symmetry approach of writing
> your own standard library (and be incredibly selective about
> which features you use - e.g. the majority of Mir is written
> with @safe @pure @nogc, which made it an absolute joy to work
> with) just to even be able to use it in a remotely productive
> way.

This is a misunderstanding. The standard library whose core
Symmetry based on Phobos is for the internal Symmetry Integration
Languge, SIL. D code in Symmetry still uses Phobos as-is. Sure,
we sometimes copy-paste a function out of it to modify it
slightly, and sometimes use third-party (or internal) libraries
when we're unsatisfied with what Phobos offers, but `std` is
still widely used.

Also, at least my experience is that the list of D features to
not use at Symmetry are stylistic choices. There's no general ban
on technological D features like the garbage collector, `@system`
code or global variables (although of course we prefer to avoid
the latter two when other things are equal, like any good D
programmer).