D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 03:22:25 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 2 July 2023 at 18:18:35 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Friday, 30 June 2023 at 17:55:38 UTC, Z3Solver wrote:
>> It feels like you need to take the Symmetry approach of
>> writing your own standard library (and be incredibly selective
>> about which features you use - e.g. the majority of Mir is
>> written with @safe @pure @nogc, which made it an absolute joy
>> to work with) just to even be able to use it in a remotely
>> productive way.
>
> This is a misunderstanding. The standard library whose core
> Symmetry based on Phobos is for the internal Symmetry
> Integration Languge, SIL. D code in Symmetry still uses Phobos
> as-is. Sure, we sometimes copy-paste a function out of it to
> modify it slightly, and sometimes use third-party (or internal)
> libraries when we're unsatisfied with what Phobos offers, but
> `std` is still widely used.
>
> Also, at least my experience is that the list of D features to
> not use at Symmetry are stylistic choices. There's no general
> ban on technological D features like the garbage collector,
> `@system` code or global variables (although of course we
> prefer to avoid the latter two when other things are equal,
> like any good D programmer).

Funkwerk, same here. Widespread use of the standard library
except when we need to fork something to fix a bug or design
issue (grrr Rebindable grrr). We try to *minimize* GC load via
various means (ranges, structs, stream decoding), but we wouldn't
forbid it outright - that would make the code far too painful to
contemplate. And it is useful.