So D will have LTS or not?

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 3 10:36:11 UTC 2023

On Monday, 3 July 2023 at 07:07:13 UTC, linger wrote:
> Looks like The D Language Foundation treat D as a toy
> language(or only a language not a production), and the members
> don't care user experience LSP/documnet/vscode/github which
> users really care. thanks @webfreak did this.
>
> DLF more like said you can do it just do it, if you can't we
> don't. but most of us are endpoint user not a language
> developer.
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/u6jjkn$2e7b$1@digitalmars.com
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/avvmlvjmvdniwwxemcqu@forum.dlang.org

I am not sure if we need another thread on this as the previous
one is still rather active.

As a regular reader of the forums I have posted little. Recently
I shared my views supporting for an LTS cycle.

I am not the best person to present examples. I am simply sharing
my support for an LTS. I think the original poster of "D has
become unbearable.." made valid points. The recent one from
Z3Solver is a good read.

For me, as someone who has small "to-the-point" server programs
in D, I can only share my concerns when wanting to use D for big
projects that requires a combination of libraries with DUB like
Gtk, Zeromq/Nanomsg, JSON serializer, Database (postgres), Web
(Vibe.d) etc. I see nothing more than compilation hell as each
library release targeting different compiler releases. When each
release can be breaking changes, it is not unreasonable for me to
have this concern.

*It is also worth noting posts about people wanting to use D for
projects work are told to avoid doing so. One of these is one of
my posts in 2020*

Some references: -
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/cffdqyvthqvurbcpxvbo@forum.dlang.org
https://forum.dlang.org/post/kfknqdjfkjbljhqrjarp@forum.dlang.org

Thing is, I do not see an LTS being created any time soon. It is
more than to simply `git branch..` and here ya go! It will
require a few people to maintain it. On top of this, it will be a
cultural change in the D ecosystem especially for library
developers to target target LTS, and to provide a version number
standard to indicate which LTS it refers to.

    At least that is my opinion on the matter.

I want D to be successful. To me Dlang is 'the language' that
ticks 90% of the boxes and easy to transition to being a C and C#
developer. I am at an age, now, where I am not sure I want to
learn Rust - as I hear is a steeper curve coming from those C\C++
background. I know I can do it, obviously - but I was hoping for
D to be the preferred choice for me.

Rust is getting more and more momentum. Recently it has been
included into the Linux kernel which, to me, has given it some
extra brownie points in terms of free advertising. With Z3Solver
recent comment about facebook ditching D and replaced with Rust
does say a lot, along with his comments on crates not breaking
(or worrying as much about breaking) if he upgrades, etc, comes
back to my views on using D for larger projects.

There is a lot of talent in the D community and I plan to invest
some time learning the internals of D, hoping I could be one of
the LTS maintainers in the near future. Of course, it is very
unlikely I can do this on my own... and won't get round to "being
ready" for such a task anytime soon.