So D will have LTS or not?

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 3 12:26:15 UTC 2023

On Monday, 3 July 2023 at 11:48:48 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> I think, first of all, the D community must be open for the
> idea of LTS. As in, they need to "man up" and bring a valid set
> of points at which an LTS would be even possible. As long as
> they have the position of "do it yourself", there is an endless
> pit of possibiliteis for D Core Team (and Walter personally) to
> reject your work based on opinion. In short, I'd say don't
> waste your time trying to convinince people to accept your
> work. It's not worth it for free.

I am using this as an opportunity to learn some lower-level
language development. In the past, I created my own Scheme
language in C for **** and giggles which is going back a few
years, now. Obviously this is a different beast so learning the
internals of D is going to be a 'fun excercise' but, on a serious
note, opens the door for me to be more prepared as a potential
member of the `LTS team` in the future.

When I am ready, I will post a new thread on `LTS proposal` and
how I see it coming together, and be open to futher replies ideas
and suggestions. That thread, when it happens, will be the real
telling (imo) on how the D community will respond.

I know my comments above are vague, and maybe I am being more
positive (or ignorant?) to this plan than others. I understand
there are frustrations by a number of people here and, granted,
many views and opinions I totally understand. If my plans/request
gets rejected then maybe I will start to be more negative, too.
On the lighter side, if my proposal for LTS gets rejected then
atleast I learned some internals to language development, and
will decide to move on to something else. The way things are
going, it will likely be Rust.

Still, one person did respond in the other thread, offering help
if needed. I do appreciate that, obviously. As I wrote, I do want
D to be successful.