So D will have LTS or not?

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 13:21:55 UTC 2023

On Monday, 3 July 2023 at 12:43:30 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> You're going to have to clarify this part in order to make
> progress. What bug fixes are required? Currently we have many
> compilers in use out in the wild, and there are no bug fixes
> being ported to them from later releases. (Has a single bug fix
> been ported from 2.104 to 2.101, even though they're only six
> months apart?) Those in power are saying that *all* bug fixes
> would have to be ported back to an LTS, and until the manpower
> for that is in place, we have to stick with the current mess.
> If you want to push this through, you're going to have to find
> a compromise that's realistic.

I hate to say this, but this already was overclarified and needs
no further discussion. I already said what an LTS release should
be in my opinion. I already asked (dirctly) about what D
foundation needs to make it happen. No concrete proposals were
made in return; no roles were defined; no amount of manpower
needed was specified. How do you expect me to do all this? It's
not in my responsibility zone to make decisions __for__ the DLF.
If they could come up with a list of roles, I could fit one of
those roles on demand. I'm not gonna do extensive research of how
DLF works for free. The community effort should go both ways, and
I am (or, at least, _was_) ready to help in any way I could. But
DLF is refusing to contribute in the same manner.

> If there's an LTS release every 18 months, anything related to
> new features will take care of itself. New features will only
> enter if they're ready. Anyone wanting to operate on the
> cutting edge can still use the latest non-LTS release. The LTS
> is for folks wanting stability, not features.

No, it won't take care of itself. As of now, `ImportC` is still a
feature that doesn't work, but it's in a __stable__ compiler. If
there was an LTS release, there would be a need for release
planning, as ImportC is still clearly an unfinished feature and
doesn't belong in an LTS release. If we had LTS that needed to
happen "here and now", the language wouldn't be ready for it.
This is what I mean by feature planning.