Planning Update June 23 & 30 -- Bugzilla to GitHub; Deprecations

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Wed Jul 5 08:13:44 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 4 July 2023 at 11:08:02 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> ### Deprecation policy
>
> Deprecating `alias this` in classes was a mistake. Walter
> proposed that we revert it, and everyone got on board.
>
> We also agreed with Walter's proposal to review other recent
> deprecations to determine if they were inappropriate or have
> caused unintended problems and, if so, examine if they can be
> reverted without causing new problems.

You can really do weird stuff with alias this and people took
advantage of it. Removing it would also remove the possibility to
do these tricks without any alternative.

Removing alias is a typical D3 thing to consider. The whole deal
with alias this and mixin composition should be reviewed and
improved for D3. While mixin templates works fine, I'm not that
keen on the syntax as it forces you to make a mixin template
rather than a struct and a struct is better because you can reuse
it in a number of different ways.

alias this is such an entrenched and iconic D feature now, I
would almost go the other way, also use it for composition for
syntax cohesiveness.