Bugzilla to GitHub Continued

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 05:43:03 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 5 July 2023 at 09:36:38 UTC, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>> * text from Bugzilla will be posted to GitHub in Markdown code
>> blocks to avoid formatting issues
>
> That might mean a long paragraph would appear as a really long
> line that has to be horizontally scrolled to read it.

Fortunately, Bugzilla pre-wraps comments at posting time, so this
should not be an issue.

An exception is quoted text, which is not wrapped. You may notice
that it can look misformatted on Bugzilla too.

>> I think that addresses most of the concerns raised about the
>> format of the issues in the previous discussion. Are we
>> missing anything?
>
> Will the issues forum get github updates for new issues, status
> updates and comments?

No. Is that desired? I think this was done mainly because 1) the
issues group predates Bugzilla, so Bugzilla reposting there was
done for the benefit of that transition 2) Bugzilla is not
searchable (it has a robots.txt rejecting all crawlers).

>> At some point after the migration, we'll put the Bugzilla
>> instance into read-only mode. We've never intended to shut it
>> down. We need to migrate it to a server under our control
>> eventually. Once it's set to read-only, we'll want dlang-bot
>> to still be able to have write access so that it can close
>> issues on Bugzilla when the associated issues on GitHub are
>> closed.
>
> So will dlang-bot close a matching github issue as well as the
> bugzilla one?

I think GitHub will close GitHub issues by itself if you say that
a PR fixes some issue in the PR.

> Can PRs made after the migration just use e.g. `Fixes #123` and
> dlang-bot will be able to find any corresponding bugzilla issue?

I think we would need to decide to either keep GitHub and
Bugzilla in sync (to whatever extent, including the
"open"/"closed" state), or make Bugzilla readonly, but we can't
do both.