Windows experience is atrocious

Rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Thu Jul 20 16:22:47 UTC 2023

Long time D user here (from D1 era). I said to come back after
two years to see how things evolved in the meantime.

Here is my Windows experience:

1. Downloaded DMD installer.
2. Cannot run, blocked by AppLocker, IOC blacklisted
3. Added to exception list
4. Cannot run, blocked by Windows SmartScreen
5. Bypass
6. You have DMD 2.090 installed, replace it? Yes
7. Failed, installer said run dmd-2.104.2.exe /f
8. Looking in cpanel to see if I an older version of D is
installed. Nope.
9. Found an old folder with D. Deleted it.
10. Going to command prompt into downloads folder
11. Running dmd-2.104.2.exe /f
12. Error, an instance of DMD is already running.
13. Looking through my processes, there is no such thing
14. Running dmd-2.104.2.exe /f again. It works!
15. You don't have VS Tools 2019 installed. I have. 2015, 2017,
2019 and 2022
16. Ignore and go on.
17. Launch VSCode
18. Install code-d, C++ already installed
19. Create a new project
20. Run tasks - Run -> dub cannot be initialized
21. Go to code.dlang.org
22. Click on Download -> redirect to github/releases
23. WTF, only source code.
24. building Dub from source
25. Added manually to PATH
27. Edit dub.json, adding target ./bin/hello.exe
28. Build Task, dub-auto - Run hello, ok
29. Build Task, dub-auto - Build hello -> config -> edit
tasks.json
30. Documentation says that I should have a dub template. Nope, I
have a CMake template.
31. Too complicated. Close VSCode, posting on forum :)

----

OK, I know, there is VisualD, but install process is still
complicated.