Windows experience is atrocious

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 09:56:13 UTC 2023

On Friday, 21 July 2023 at 07:12:28 UTC, Rumbu wrote:
> On Friday, 21 July 2023 at 06:14:16 UTC, evilrat wrote:
>> On Friday, 21 July 2023 at 05:29:16 UTC, Rumbu wrote:
>>> On Friday, 21 July 2023 at 04:55:00 UTC, Curious Observer
>>> wrote:
>>>Compare with rust:
>>>

>>> 6. rust-analyzer/run -> ok
>>> 7. rust-analyzer/debug/run -> ok
>>
>> Basically exactly the same for D, you are doing something
>> wrong.
>>

>> 6. dub run --build=release
>> 7. dub run
>>
>> The only thing is that smartscreen requires you to click that
>> "details" button and manually allow it to run the installer
>> because it is "reputation" based filter and there is few
>> people using D compared to rust.
>
> Nope, I am asked if I want to replace my 2.041 version with
> 2.041 version :)
> And if I go on, it still pretends that I don't have VS 2019
> installed.
>
> And nope also for VSCode experience. I don't touch the
> terminal. All is done from VSCode command palette/user
> interface. And step 7 is about debugging (e.g. set a
> breakpoint, inspect locals, call stack and so on).

Well ok, I'm not using rust but seems like that rust extension
provide a no-brainer way of launching debugger, yep, ok D sucks -
you have to install C++ extension (and lldb on linux too), create
a new launch config using that "cppvsdbg"/lldb engine and point
to your executable, then set a breakpoint and hit F5.

Also btw I started my journey in D in 2009 but first version I
remember to actually use was 2.052 which was somewhere in 2011,
having such issues with outdated installers is probably expected.