Windows experience is atrocious

MrJay mrjcraft2021 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 18:33:07 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 20 July 2023 at 16:22:47 UTC, Rumbu wrote:
> Long time D user here (from D1 era). I said to come back after
> two years to see how things evolved in the meantime.
>
> Here is my Windows experience:
>
> 1. Downloaded DMD installer.
> 2. Cannot run, blocked by AppLocker, IOC blacklisted
> 3. Added to exception list
> 4. Cannot run, blocked by Windows SmartScreen
> 5. Bypass
> 6. You have DMD 2.090 installed, replace it? Yes
> 7. Failed, installer said run dmd-2.104.2.exe /f
> 8. Looking in cpanel to see if I an older version of D is
> installed. Nope.
> 9. Found an old folder with D. Deleted it.
> 10. Going to command prompt into downloads folder
> 11. Running dmd-2.104.2.exe /f
> 12. Error, an instance of DMD is already running.
> 13. Looking through my processes, there is no such thing
> 14. Running dmd-2.104.2.exe /f again. It works!
> 15. You don't have VS Tools 2019 installed. I have. 2015, 2017,
> 2019 and 2022
> 16. Ignore and go on.
> 17. Launch VSCode
> 18. Install code-d, C++ already installed
> 19. Create a new project
> 20. Run tasks - Run -> dub cannot be initialized
> 21. Go to code.dlang.org
> 22. Click on Download -> redirect to github/releases
> 23. WTF, only source code.
> 24. building Dub from source
> 25. Added manually to PATH
> 27. Edit dub.json, adding target ./bin/hello.exe
> 28. Build Task, dub-auto - Run hello, ok
> 29. Build Task, dub-auto - Build hello -> config -> edit
> tasks.json
> 30. Documentation says that I should have a dub template. Nope,
> I have a CMake template.
> 31. Too complicated. Close VSCode, posting on forum :)
>
> ----
>
> OK, I know, there is VisualD, but install process is still
> complicated.

I am very surprised you had this many issues, I helped a coworker
of mine who is not a programmer go through the installation and
didnt have any problems, just normal installation stuff, like
clicking on what you want installed etc.. I am going to install
the latest version right now and see what the steps are again,
but to reiterate I did switch to a scripting language for my work
because I didnt want to help like 10 people install D but I got
my scripts down to zero installation which is always better than
any installation. so until D is zero installation it can still
get better.