Windows experience is atrocious

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 19:24:56 UTC 2023

On Monday, 24 July 2023 at 18:43:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/24/2023 12:22 AM, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
>> You know, I'm in the "deprecate and clean-up the language"
>> camp since forever ...
>
> I am, too, but it clearly does not work for us.

Don't mistake the destination with the method of getting there
e.g. a few deprecations aren't actually stopping people from
using D, it's just discouraging having a violent torrent of
dip1000 deprecations which would (for us) require days or weeks
of engineering-time to get around (if even possible) because the
underlying model just isn't able to express the patterns that
make D productive (as opposed to merely expressive).

For deprecations that are either syntactic or a direct
substitution, the compiler should just fix it for you - clang and
gcc (to a lesser extent) can both do this, e.g. the body=>do
change - regardless of the justification the compiler should just
parse it and fix it (or emit a diff, etc etc).