Windows experience is atrocious

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 15:06:22 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 25 July 2023 at 10:21:30 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> I agree that a tool like python 2to3 could be useful, but the
> python experience seems to point out that it was pretty a
> failure overall.
I actually think python is an excellent example of a language
that wanted to make major changes and pulled it off successfully.
Being arguable the most popular language in the world is a pretty
good proof! I don't mind if there is a D2 and D3 like Python, so
long as it's something predictable and I can compile old
projects. I think the versioning idea mentioned by H. S. Teoh
would be a slightly better version of what they did because you
wouldn't have to have virtualenvs for each project. To be fair, I
don't know why you consider 2to3 a failure because I rarely do
anything in Python, but maybe the 2to3 tool specifically is not
part of the solution.

> sometimes the best way to move forward is just the simplest one.
I feel like this makes sense, but simplest for whom?

In the end, I would like an ecosystem of IDEs, libraries and
tools that don't even exist in other languages. Until there is a
way to take a 2-year-old abandoned project and pick it up and
build it, it will be starting from scratch each time and a lot of
the tools will not get built and stay built. It has to be
something where work done is done and not lost. I would like a
roadmap to that before I personally commit a lot of my time to it.

> The point is, aren't the actual compiler switches enough to let
> you choose when to do the transition of the codebase? What's
> the problem about that?
I would like to know more about this, can you give an example?
Does the compiler already let you specify you want to keep using
in ref (for example) or something like that?