Windows experience is atrocious

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 05:11:48 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 26 July 2023 at 18:15:18 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> It will make the compiler more complex to maintain, certainly.
> But *something* has to be done... otherwise nothing is going to
> change and the D ecosystem is going to remain small forever.

What specific advantages would you get in requiring every file to
have a version as opposed to a compiler flag that can be passed
in via the build tool like dub? I feel like a project is usually
worked on as a version. I don't know a lot about linking but it
seems like you could build each dependency with its own version
and link them with rare exceptions. That would make it easier to
use and also to retrofit old projects you come across than
manually updating every file.

If you think per file is the way to go, then what if instead of
defaulting to say 2.105 forever, it defaulted to the latest
LTS/major version. And then if you wanted to compile older stuff
that no longer compiles, it could just use the old compiler. I
don't think it would be a high bar to have people download
multiple versions of the compiler. It could be included in the
default download perhaps. I always have several JDKs and usually
even a few versions of Visual Studio.

Also, I agree that this wouldn't make sense retroactively. I was
thinking if we have 100 versions now, then one day we will
probably have 100 more.

I appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this because
it's giving me a lot of peace of mind and I think you're
definitely on to something.