Non-ASCII in the future in the lexer

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jun 1 06:31:20 UTC 2023

On 5/31/2023 8:13 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> This is all great, but as someone else has already said, the input
> method could be a problem area.  On my PC, I've set up XKB input with a
> compose key such that many of these symbols are relatively easily
> accessible; for example, Compose + < + = produces ≤; and Compose + v + /
> produces √.  However, some symbols are more tricky to input, and some
> are not accessible this way.

I've struggled with that, too. On MicroEmacs, I fixed ^X-U to scroll through the
various incarnations of a letter. So, placing the cursor on a, and hitting ^X-U,
changes it to a with an umlaut, a with an accent, etc. On a -, it scrolls
through the various - variations. On ", it scrolls through the quoting symbols.

Of course, this is pretty limited.