Non-ASCII in the future in the lexer

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Sat Jun 3 21:07:34 UTC 2023

On Sat, Jun 03, 2023 at 12:22:42PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 6/1/2023 3:04 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > I believe that the next step is to USB/WiFi touchscreen keyboards
> > that can be reconfigured to any symbol set by software.  All we need
> > is a long, horizontal device with a touchscreen mounted on suitable
> > support that makes it comfortable to type on, then have a standard
> > API for software to configure whatever symbols it wishes the user to
> > use on it.
[...]
> I'd prefer a regular keyboard with conventional keys - but with a
> display on each keytop that is a graphic of what the key is bound to.
> For example, when you hit the shift key, the graphic switches to upper
> case.

That works too.

> Making this software configurable really opens things up - anything is
> possible - all while preserving touch typing.

True -- I can't say I'm a big fan of the completely smooth and
featureless touchscreen; makes typing harder 'cos you're not sure if
your fingers are exactly on the right keys.  But nobody says we can't
use flexible touchscreens on a ridged surface that your fingers could
feel... or maybe a fabric-based surface with plastic bubbles underneath
that can be reconfigured?  That does add a whole new layer of mechanical
complexity though.  So probably not worth it.  But it's an interesting
thought.

On Sun, Jun 04, 2023 at 07:35:02AM +1200, Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 04/06/2023 7:22 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> > I'm surprised nobody makes a keyboard like I described.
>
> Sort of, its pretty expensive.
>
> https://www.elgato.com/us/en/p/stream-deck-xl
>
> I suspect the hard part is the keycap. The controller shouldn't be too
> hard.

The controller can be exactly the same as the conventional keyboard: it
can continue sending exactly the same keycodes for each key; the
software just has to translate the keycodes into different symbols based
on what's currently displayed on the key. The keyboard itself doesn't
need to know or care.

All that's really needed is a tiny configurable pixel screen on each
keycap that can be loaded with any arbitrary graphic. It could very well
have a completely separate connection to the PC from the keyboard's
primary output.

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.