struct Location size

cc cc at nevernet.com
Mon Jun 5 20:24:04 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 00:24:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> This PR https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/15199 reduces its
> size by 8 bytes, resulting in about 20Mb of memory savings
> compiling druntime, according to @dkorpel.
>
>  6 bits for column - 1..64

I'm just sitting here blinking my eyes over and over at the
thought of considering (essentially) losing the ability to track
column numbers for errors in order to potentially save 20MB of
memory usage in a process that is currently using... \**presses
compile and glances at second monitor*\* 2GB.

In other news, the City Council recently decided that doing away
with crosswalks would be the best solution to dealing with the
robot-cars-barreling-over-people epidemic.  After careful
consideration, it was determined that the benefit of meeting
human needs was trivial compared to the 1% improvement in machine
efficiency.