D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 19:34:41 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 8 June 2023 at 17:49:27 UTC, mw wrote:

> 1) How fast this threads grow: 30 replies in ~3 hours! esp.
> from developers who are maintaining real projects.
>
> 2) And, how many times this topic have been raised in this
> forum again and again.

I am a developer who maintains real (commercial!) projects, and I
want D to break more compatibility and do less stability. Just,
you know, for reference.

Every time a complaint threat comes up, it tends to hog the
frontpage. This sort of forum mechanics selects for *engagement*,
not agreement. Note how my responses disagreeing with you bump
the thread just as much as responses that agree.

Also, at the end of the day, language development is not a poll.
There are some good arguments for (and against) a D3 split; "look
how many posts can get spammed on this thread" is not one of
them. Otherwise we should probably go and make `private` class
scope as well...