D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Thu Jun 8 21:33:37 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jun 08, 2023 at 09:05:18PM +0000, Ernesto Castellotti via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> GDC starting from GCC 12 version started to get really interesting (so
> much so that now I've replaced LDC with GDC in production because it's
> much easier for me to handle for my embedded programming) because it
> is updated to recent D versions.

I stuck with LDC mainly for the ease of cross-compiling to Windows. All
I need is to download the LDC releases for Linux and Windows, modify a
config file, and it's ready to go.  Cross-compiling with GDC is much
trickier to setup, and can be fragile if you're not 100% sure what
you're doing.

> I believe that no one can ever reward enough Iain Buclaw for the great
> work he did with GDC, having a D compiler on GCC mainline is just
> amazing.

To get a language into GCC mainline takes dedication and skill. The GCC
codebase isn't the most friendly to work with if you're not familiar
with it. And getting code to the point that it gets accepted into
mainline takes some real skillz.  But it also takes time -- IIRC it took
many years for Iain to push it through to GCC mainline.  That takes
dedication: long, dogged persistence.  It's really rare to find someone
who can do both.  Iain is a real treasure to the D community.

Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares? -- Erich Schubert