D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

Guillaume Piolat first.last at spam.org
Fri Jun 9 11:42:50 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 8 June 2023 at 19:43:56 UTC, Hipreme wrote:

> For Hipreme Engine, I do get some errors on users when they use
> a different version, what I've done is simply limiting their
> version (my build system also includes an auto download system
> for the expected D version). I'm always trying to stick to the
> most recent version because i know that if I stick too much
> time with a version, when needing to jump 10 versions,
> everything will be broken (specially since I'm maintaining my
> own runtime now).

For Dplug I tell users what compiler they should use, even then
it's useful when people try the latest and it brings up issues.
So we ought to do that with the D compiler ourselves else noone
will see the issues.

Even then my lib have very little breaking changes and people
willingly use the former versions, to my dismay. I think people
have a bit unreaistic expectations about their favourite rate of
change.

I don't believe a D LTS would solve things (it's like a small
schism in the language regularly), the current situation seems
honestly ideal to me with relatively gradual upgrade paths.
Haven't had the same issues, I had very small issues with DFLAGS
being required to make an actually standalone shared library with
the newer DUB+LDC. Or dub.json comments being impossible at the
moment, but nothing really striking.