D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 16:41:28 UTC 2023

On Friday, 9 June 2023 at 16:22:15 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I wasn't around during the D1/D2 split, but AFAIK there were D1
> projects that eventually had no way to transition to D2 because
> of fundamental language discrepancies that had no migration
> path.

Indeed.

So worth noting that the D1/D2 split happened almost
simultaneously: D2 came out about six months after D1. What
happened previously is there was just the D language that changed
randomly as it wanted. People asked for some long term support.

D1 was arbitrarily branched off. It became the "stable" version
and the existing all-development version got rebranded D2.

This actually was a decent success for a while! Some big users
stayed on stable successfully. But the stable thing eventually
got dropped with no migration plan, and then there was never
another stable release to replace it.

Would want to avoid repeating those latter mistakes.