D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Jun 12 17:58:40 UTC 2023

On Monday, 12 June 2023 at 11:01:35 UTC, Johan wrote:

> Trying to help the discussion a little bit.
> I think there is some miscommunication because different people
> in this thread have different ideas of what "LTS" means/should
> be. Please define what you mean with "LTS"

I sort of agree with this, but the goals are not exclusive. I
don't see anyone disagreeing with the statement that the number
of compilers currently in use makes it hard to share code with
others (whether for money or otherwise). That can be fixed in
less than a minute by labeling certain releases "LTS".

If someone wants to undertake a time-intensive effort to go
beyond that, fine. It's not needed to improve the current
situation though. We already have many compilers in the wild that
aren't receiving updates. There's no reason to make this extra
work a prerequisite to reducing the number of compilers you have
to support in order to share your code with others.