D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 13 20:54:41 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 13 June 2023 at 16:57:15 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yes, your answers are confirming a number of things.. and that my
'imagine' case(es) are, in fact, a reality - especially for
bigger-than-average maintainers... like dlangui.

The "dependencies bad" mindset has a place for certain projects
but should this be the case for many D projects? Sure D is great
for low-level solutions and certainly allows this approach. It is
a great replacement for C, etc. However D is also a high-level
language and its ease of use should be comparable to C#, Java,
etc - especially with their respected package repositories.

With dependencies, the footprint on D executable, etc, should
still be tiny compared to others. In **most cases**, the
"dependency bad" needs to die in D.

*"I went through great lengths to extract them from dlangui
project itself (they were initially copy-pasted into a 3rdparty
folder), and I'm beginning to regret this. If any of the
dependencies break, or stop updating, I'm stuck with an old
compiler version essentially. And it's not like replacing
dependencies is easy when they are so scarce."*

This pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. I do not want
to write commercial projects only to keep having to handle
dependency/compiler problems. Reality is - **** happens, and time
is money. Do I really have the time to deal with this (potential)
problem happening out of nowhere?

*"I agree that some form of LTS is needed, but I don't think it's
going to happen with D"*

This is too bad. I hope you are wrong about this. I have been
on-and-off with D for a few years, now. I felt D was going to be
the "one true language" for me, whether low or high level. Some
projects are coming my way believing the time have arrived to
finally move to D.. to write some server-side applications... I
just feel like I will hit a brick wall with the things mentioned
above. Honestly it's making me bite the bullet and go a step
closer to Ru$t (though they were having their own problems with
trademark backlashes.. lol)

*"Yes, that is the whole point of this thread. To ask for some
sort of stability in the D ecosystem"*

I just wanted it laid out in plain text. It seems to me the
majority are on the same wavelength of what LTS means. I just
wanted to clarify this.

Happy hacking.