D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Jun 19 13:38:58 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 18 June 2023 at 17:49:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/17/2023 5:14 AM, monkyyy wrote:
>> All you need to say is "d version 99 is the lts for the next 3
>> year" or maybe a formal blog post by 5ish people.
>
> Somebody needs to step up and pull fixes into it.

If you go back only three years, that means there are currently
nine major releases of DMD still in use in the wild, plus
whatever releases of LDC and GDC have happened since then. Are
they getting bug fixes? If not, why not?

We all know that requiring LTS to get all bug fixes makes it a
big project, and that the probability of someone actually doing
it is zero. It's not necessary and it's not sufficient to solve
the problem of having to support too many compiler releases.