D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Jun 19 17:55:40 UTC 2023

On Monday, 19 June 2023 at 14:23:18 UTC, Martyn wrote:

> While some people may think this is a case of simply creating
> an LTS branch and... boom.. job done. It wont be as simple as
> that.

It actually is that simple. This is how the discussion is
proceeding:

"There are too many compiler releases. It makes it hard to share
libraries with others."

"Simple solution - have fewer compiler releases."

"We can only do that if someone's going to port bug fixes back to
all previous releases of the compiler."

"Why? We're not doing that now?"

[Crickets chirping]

This problem has a simple solution. Fewer compiler releases. I'm
all for bug fixes, but it has nothing to do with reducing the
frequency of compiler releases. If bug fixes are that important,
we'd already be doing it.