Identifier right after a template Type

Puneet Goel puneet at coverify.com
Thu Jun 22 10:20:13 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 22 June 2023 at 09:19:39 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 6/22/23 00:49, Puneet Goel wrote:
>
> >    Foo!q{foo}cc;
> [...]
> > // p.c  // q{foo}c is taken as a string
>
> In case it's not clear to all: q{foo}c is the equivalent of
> "foo"c, which means a string consisting of chars (as usual).

I think it is a bug (or maybe I should call it unexpected
compiler behavior) at a more fundamental level. Consider how both
clang and gcc treat literal suffix errors differently compared to
Dlang:

```
$ cat /tmp/test.d
```

```D
ulong test = 44LUNG;
```

```
$ ldc2 /tmp/test.d
/tmp/test.d(1): Error: semicolon expected following auto
declaration, not `NG`
/tmp/test.d(1): Error: no identifier for declarator `NG`
```

```
$ cat /tmp/test.c
```

```C
int long unsigned test = 44LUNG;
```

```
$ gcc /tmp/test.c
/tmp/test.c:1:26: error: invalid suffix "LUNG" on integer constant
     1 | int long unsigned test = 44LUNG;
       |                          ^~~~~~

$ clang /tmp/test.c
/tmp/test.c:1:28: error: invalid suffix 'LUNG' on integer constant
int long unsigned test = 44LUNG;
                            ^
1 error generated.
```