Bugzilla to GitHub Issues Migration

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Jun 23 08:59:56 UTC 2023

On Friday, June 23, 2023 2:14:29 AM MDT Robert Schadek via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 June 2023 at 20:48:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > I've never understood why some folks have kept pushing for us
> > to use github issues. They're nice if you're setting up a
> > github repo and don't want to go to the trouble of setting up
> > and hosting a bugzilla instance elsewhere, but they're not as
> > sophisticated as bugzilla.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Because its not about the features, its about the people. D's
> bugzilla has none, github has all of them.

I'm afraid that I don't understand your logic. When you want to report a bug
for a project, you go to wherever that project handles bug reports. In that
respect, whether it's bugzilla or github or wherever is irrelevant. I don't
see how the fact that a lot of people use github for code has anything do
with how we handle bug reports.

Walter and company will decide whatever they decide for this, and if that
means going to github issues, I guess that it means going to github issues,
but it seems to me that it's making things worse, because we'll be switching
to an inferior tool. And I truly don't understand how any of it is about the
people. Are you afraid that people are too lazy to report bugs via bugzilla
or something and that using github issues will somehow overcome that?

- Jonathan M Davis