Bugzilla to GitHub Issues Migration

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Fri Jun 23 12:31:39 UTC 2023

On 6/23/23 11:53, Robert Schadek wrote:

>> Walter and company will decide whatever they decide for this, and if
>> that means going to github issues, I guess that it means going to
>> github issues, but it seems to me that it's making things worse,
>> because we'll be switching to an inferior tool. And I truly don't
>> understand how any of it is about the people. Are you afraid that
>> people are too lazy to report bugs via bugzilla or something and that
>> using github issues will somehow overcome that?
>>

> I'm not afraid that people are too lazy, I'm convinced, and IMHO right,
> that people are too lazy report anywhere but github.
> Github helps as everybody knows it, and there is no friction at all.

Yes, unfortunately it is true that many people won't report issues on
bugzilla. Preserving the existing issues is still really important as
well. Those are issues reported by _enthusiastic people who let
themselves be assed to report on bugzilla_, and we owe them to treat
their issues well. In particular, I think moving issues to github issues
and giving all the github contributions/authorship for those issues to
yourself and Mike is a terrible way to move forward, even if the issues
are technically in the public domain and/or belong to DLF.