Benchmarks - LDC vs GDC

Rune Morling ermo at serpentos.com
Thu Jun 29 15:43:49 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 27 June 2023 at 19:58:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Be leery of using fastmath switches unless you are very
> knowledgeable about fp math and how fastmath changes it.
>
> DMD doesn't have a fastmath switch for good reason.

Walter, have you (or the foundation) ever considered contributing
idiomatic DLang solutions to (the more well-known) benchmark
sites and linking to them in the DLang intro (=
"marketing/funneling") materials?

Using this to showcase DLang might be a boon, particularly if the
goal is to market the language to people re. how straightforward
it is to write performant code in DLang compared to, say,
C/C++/Java/Python/Go/Rust etc.?

I might be overly naïve here, but I honestly see this as an easy
way for prospective adopters to check whether DLang actually does
what it says on the tin so to speak? Particularly if the the
person or set of persons contributing the examples are part of
the core dlang set of contributors?

The other bonus is that it will help showcase areas of
improvements if said benchmarks are revisited regularly, perhaps
even as part of the compiler release test suite(s)?