dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

Ki Rill rill.ki at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 03:19:02 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 15:15:33 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 14:29:28 UTC, Mathias LANG
> wrote:
>> Obviously such a change would not happen overnight, and would
>> need broad support from the community. Opinions ?
>
> Here's a wild idea: use the D language. Most the things
> dub.json defines are already available in D anyway.

Using D to build D would be great. This reminds me of
[Ziglang](https://ziglang.org/). We can learn from it. I really
enjoyed the fact that Zig builds Zig.

Here is a simple
[template](https://github.com/gamercade-io/zig-template/blob/main/build.zig).

I also like the fact that Zig understands and can seamlessly
import C.

---
On the other hand, I'd like the SDL format. It's simple. I was
able to understand it and modify the file on the second read.

I don't think adding a new config format is the way to go. It
will only add more ambience complexity and confuse users what to
choose.

There should be one way to do something and it should good and
exhaustive.