dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 09:14:17 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 1 March 2023 at 07:41:02 UTC, tastyminerals wrote:

> It is safer to just go with whatever is used and accepted as a
> reliable format for configs. I like the idea to use plain D tbo.
>
> JSON lacks comments, but it's fine for minimal default
> projects. We try to use TOML everywhere in a company, although
> I cannot say how well it works as a config for building
> projects. YAML is the most risky, since it has a high chance to
> alienate a sizeable amount of potential users.

Why would YAML be the most risky choice ? For me it's quite the
opposite: It's a well known and accepted format, AND the
implementation is already there. So I clearly don't see how it
would alienate users, except if those users are also alienated by
Github Actions, Circle CI, Kubernetes, Ansible, Docker...