dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 14:50:16 UTC 2023

On 3/1/23 7:49 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
> Having said that, having *3* formats is even worse.

Having a very similar format to JSON can lessen this impact. e.g. JSON5,
which looks very similar to JSON and is backwards compatible.

> I don't think we can
> talk about changing the format without having a plan for migrating every
> single dub.json/dub.sdl out there. I don't know how that'd work with
> issuing PRs to all of them, especially if the maintainers ignore them.

This isn't feasible. dub must parse and deal with not only the current
configuration, but all prior configurations (in case you want to depend
on prior versions).

We are stuck forever with both JSON and SDL as valid config formats,
even if they are deprecated/undocumented.

-Steve