dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

CM celestialmachinist at example.com
Wed Mar 1 19:07:09 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 1 March 2023 at 09:10:36 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 17:27:24 UTC, CM wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 14:29:28 UTC, Mathias LANG
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Is obscurity SDL's biggest downside? When I was a D and DUB
>> initiate, I had no issues acclimating to its usage, especially
>> compared to SBT's DSL. Instead, the source of the friction was
>> due to DUB's documentation, and there's already an effort to
>> improve this.
>
> The syntax will always be an outlier. Someone building a
> project nowadays need not only a language and a build system,
> but a wealth of tools around it. CI, editor, deployment
> configs... Many of which have adopted YAML, none of which use
> SDL.

I'm not a professional programmer, and I'm ignorant as to how
this pertains to SDL's current usage. From man's perspective,
there's already syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and
on-demand parsing of a recipe file. To a machine, perhaps SDL
requires a better parsing library that's more appropriate for D
and its ecosystem instead of Java, from which it came, but that
seems easier than an upheaval.