dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 21:53:27 UTC 2023

On 3/1/23 4:02 PM, Mathias LANG wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 March 2023 at 14:21:12 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>
>> It hasn't sailed for dub. Neither json nor sdl require significant
>> white space.
>

> I meant that the argument, in general, has been debunked.

I'm thinking you are using "debunked" in the wrong way here. YAML (or
anything else) using significant whitespace is not proof that
significant whitespace is a good policy.

> Also, SDL has
> significant whitespace in how it treats newlines.

That isn't what I am talking about. Anyone who has used YAML knows this
isn't the problem that happens when you edit a YAML file.

>> We will never be rid of SDL. Remember that dub has to not only parse
>> the current config, but all tagged configs. Updating all old projects,
>> and all previous tags of old projects, is not going to happen.
>
> That's a problem we can work around, but having code to convert from SDL
> to YAML/JSON. We're already doing this (accidentaly) when downloading a
> package.

Right, and dub is the one doing this. Dub fetches the package from the
git hosting server (e.g. github), not code.dlang.org.

We still need an SDL parser in dub.

-Steve