Why is std.regex slow, well here is one reason!

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 2 20:11:14 UTC 2023

On 3/1/2023 11:49 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> I would insist that there are times when “looks the same” is not a good option.
> Typically programs do not have the context, that we as humans use to disambiguate.

Programs can't tell if "die" means "the" or "expire" without context, either.

The point is, once invisible semantic meaning is added, an infinite number of
Unicode code points is required.

 > You’d be surprised

Not at all. People use different fonts to assert different meanings all the time.

 > but there are typesets where Cyrillic A is visually different from ASCII A.

Yes, and there are italic fonts, and people embed them in text using markup, not
different code points.