dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

0xEAB desisma at heidel.beer
Fri Mar 3 17:14:45 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 14:29:28 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:
> 1) Use SDL everywhere;

I’d prefer to ditch SDL.

It’s a lost bet from today’s point of view; nobody is using it
elsewhere essentially.

Compared to other formats that are widely used (JSON, YAML, …),
SDL can be perceived as “the bizarre format that one will only
learn/use to write DUB recipes”.

I’ve been using DUB for years, and still can’t remember SDL’s
syntax.
When I decide to use it, it’s only because it allows me to put
"subPackage" + "dependency" next to each other, unlike the less
flexible dub.json format. I don’t think this advantage is
actually worth it, given this approach could get quite messy
(esp. for other uses).

Also, I’m curious:
Does anyone here in the community use it for anything else but
DUB recipes?