dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

0xEAB desisma at heidel.beer
Fri Mar 3 22:12:46 UTC 2023

On Friday, 3 March 2023 at 18:44:54 UTC, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev]
wrote:
> On Friday, 3 March 2023 at 17:14:45 UTC, 0xEAB wrote:
>> [..]
>> I’ve been using DUB for years, and still can’t remember SDL’s
>> syntax.
>
> The same applies to Dub's json format.

I’d say there a difference between syntax and mapping data to a
format.
If you aren’t familiar with DUB’s JSON format, you can’t really
claim that you were familiar with DUB’s SDL format either.

If I’m already familiar with JSON in general, DUB’s manual will
be all I have to worry about.
If I’m not familiar with neither SDL nor DUB (which is more
likely than not being familiar with JSON), I’ll end up looking at
two manuals.

Your IDE is probably also better at auto completing DUB recipe
property names than general file syntax.