dub: JSON, SDL, YAML, TOML, what color should we paint it ?

Ahmet Sait nightmarex1337 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 08:22:05 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 28 February 2023 at 14:29:28 UTC, Mathias LANG wrote:

I mostly agree with Steve and others in this thread that we
should go with [JSON5](https://json5.org). We can make the JSON
parser accept JSON5 with a fully backward compatible manner (just
like you did with YAML) and hopefully deprecate SDL so there is
one canonical format everyone use (even though we silently keep
supporting SDL).

What I would like to mention is that DUB has this `add` command
for automatically adding a dependency (e.g. `dub add vibe-d`),
and it is extremely broken to the core: It completely overwrites
your file discarding all the formatting and even comments in a
`dub.sdl` while also reordering json fields in `dub.json`
alphabetically. It should have never existed in it's current form
and should be removed.