Is UI interesting for us?

Dadoum dadoum at protonmail.com
Tue Mar 28 21:23:25 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 28 March 2023 at 20:39:34 UTC, Zealot wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 March 2023 at 15:56:50 UTC, Ogi wrote:
>> On Saturday, 25 March 2023 at 13:11:58 UTC, Zealot wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 25 March 2023 at 13:01:44 UTC, Ogi wrote:
>>>
>>> just use webview2/CEF and Vue.js (or whatever other framework
>>> you prefer).
>>
>> Everything web-based runs like garbage and uses tons of RAM.
>
> not if you write proper code. and RAM doesn't really matter
> much on the desktop anyway.

If you intend to write a big software, it matters a lot because
they already require quite a lot of RAM. Look at most
professional softs, they are native yet takes a big amount of RAM
(Let's estimate it to 4 GB, for Visual Studio and light usage of
Adobe software IIRC back when I was on Windows). Then look at
Electron apps. They are taking a comparable amount of RAM (400 MB
for Discord ~ 2 GB for Slack), while they offer almost nothing in
comparison. If you make a web app you are already accepting to
sacrifice a lot of performance while a native GUI framework would
probably have allowed more flexibility (taking advantage of
language features) while being way more efficient in resource.