Is UI interesting for us?

Dadoum dadoum at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 29 09:54:35 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 29 March 2023 at 09:14:55 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> DLangUI does almost all of that. But people aren't interested
> in commiting. They are interested in startig from scratch over
> and over again instead.

I tried to use DlangUI to potentially contribute to it. But there
are some design choices that turned me off personally.

The API is very inspired of Android UI, which makes it very
verbose with explicit layouts (I have a GTK+ background, so I
struggle to understand how layouts work in general).

The UI is usually built with a custom format in a string, so if
it has an error you will have to wait for the code to compile and
run to see it.

Backends are made of one big file, and I didn't understand how
you can add one (I wanted Wayland support).

Renderers are also inside each backend, so adding support for
Vulkan would probably imply adding more duplicated code in every
backend or move some code in a new module.

Before last year, there was nobody to help me figure out how
everything works so I gave up and started my own thing, but I
would love to help and improve the project now.