What requires a DIP?

Quirin Schroll qs.il.paperinik at gmail.com
Fri May 5 14:28:38 UTC 2023

I’ve been told by randoms a couple of times now that some
proposed change, which I considered a minor enhancement, needs a
DIP. How do people determine that? What are the “official” rules
on what needs a DIP and what doesn’t? As far as I see, there
aren’t any.

My sense was that, informally:
* Any change that necessitates potentially real-world breakage
needs a DIP.
* Mere additions need a DIP if they introduce a new language
feature.
* Even small additions need a DIP if they require justification
in terms of cost–benefit ratio, with cost both in terms of
initial implementation and long-term maintenance.

What doesn’t fit those criteria, are additions that give The
Obvious Meaning™ to something that is currently an error and has
obvious benefits for little implementation cost and essentially
no additional maintenance cost.