OpEquals in Dmd

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Mon May 8 00:04:33 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 17:34:53 UTC, Lucian Danescu wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I thought I'd ask before diving straight into an
> implementation. I am using dmd as a library and I have a use
> case where being able to compare AST nodes would be really
> helpful.
>
> My question is: is this doable in DMD, or is it a reason it
> hasn't been implemented so far? Do you guys consider it would
> be a valuable addition to DMD, or it wouldn't go through?

Most likely the reason it hasn't been implemented is that DMD
itself doesn't need to compare AST nodes in order to compile D
code.

For the same reason, my guess is that such code would not be
accepted as a contribution, because the DMD developers would not
want to take on the job of maintaining code that DMD does not use.

If you would like to make your AST comparison code available to
other projects that use DMD as a library, I would recommend
publishing it as a separate package on code.dlang.org. You can
list the [official `dmd` package][1] as a dependency.

[1]: https://code.dlang.org/packages/dmd