Help improve error message

Petar Petar
Mon May 8 09:53:44 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 14:19:49 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> [..]

I completely agree about you in the general case. However, just
like you highlighted the interaction between `std.conv.to` and
`core.time.to`, I believe we do have something we can do to
improve the status quo in this specific case, although not easily
feasible in the current language - if the compiler lowered `V[K]`
types to a fully library defined type (say
`core.associative_array.Hash(Key, Value)`), then all the
AA-related free functions we currently have in `object.d` would
become member functions and then the compiler wouldn't consider
them as overload candidates.

Speaking of this, I now remembered that you created this project:
https://github.com/schveiguy/newaa

What language changes are necessary before we can replace the
built-in AAs with a completely library-based solution?