D Language Foundation Weekly Planning Session Update

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun May 14 16:13:37 UTC 2023

Last week, in my post titled ['A New Era for the D
Community'](https://forum.dlang.org/thread/avvmlvjmvdniwwxemcqu@forum.dlang.org), I announced that Ucora had taken us through IVY, their organizational development program, at no charge. In that thread and elsewhere, the announcement received some positive feedback. I also saw some questions raised and skeptical speculations made. I'll address the two biggest questions here, and then I'll provide a short summary of our first concrete steps toward the new era.

### What is IVY?
I said in the post that IVY is "a simple but innovative approach
to workflow". Despite its simplicity, not one of us who
participated in the program grokked how it could help us in one
or two sessions. It took multiple sessions for the light bulbs to
go off. It's one of those things that's obvious in hindsight, but
might take a bit to get there. Given that, I expect that any
attempt I make to describe it in a forum post would not be
fruitful.

I can say unequivocally that IVY is not some sort of "consulting
propaganda". We went through 15 sessions. Some of us were
skeptical in the beginning, but that disappeared as we went
along. We didn't spend 20+ hours of our lives mindlessly
listening to nonsense. What we have learned is going to help us
do things we were clueless about before. From our perspective,
having seen the program firsthand, there's no doubt in our minds
about that.

As we go along, you'll have more information available from your
perspective to make more informed judgments about what it is and
how we're applying it. It's not like IVY is Top Secret
information. Our guest keynote speaker at DConf '23 is our IVY
coach, Saeed Sabeti. His talk is going to be about IVY in the
context of the D community. He and I are also discussing an idea
to go beyond the talk with a special event at DConf that will
bring even more clarity to those who participate.

Sometime soon, I'm going to start reaching out to regular
contributors and easing them into the IVY concept. Then I'll
reach out to semi-regular contributors and then start looking for
new contributors, with a goal of transforming "semi-regular" and
"new" to "regular". Non-contributors don't need to know what IVY
is, but even so, I'll be happy to help anyone interested to
better understand it even if they have no intention of actively
contributing to our core projects. You can accept it or reject
it, choose to apply it or not. But we expect that those who do
accept and apply it will see benefits in their own workflow.

Let's leave it at this definition for now: At its heart, IVY is
about communication. It's a means of aligning the goals of
organizations and stakeholders by understanding the motivations
of each.

### What sort of changes are coming?
The short answer: I don't know. That's what we're going to figure
out in our new weekly planning sessions.

The longer answer: I have an idea about some of the changes, but
when I wrote that post there was nothing concrete. At the end of
this post, I can give you something concrete.

So given that, how can I be sure this is a new era for the D
community? How can I claim that "this is going to be the most
significant change in the D community in the 20 years I've been a
part of it"?

Employing IVY is going to *completely change the way we operate*.
That alone is such a huge change that it can't help but have
major consequences. It's going to impact the way we make
decisions, the way we interact with contributors, the way the
community understands what's going on, the way we deal with the
ecosystem at large, and impact us in other ways I can't predict.

What we're not going to do is start ordering people around and
telling them what to do. This isn't about that kind of
management. This is about bringing order to chaos, helping
contributors identify potential contributions that best align
with their motivations, helping D programmers at large understand
where we're going, and generally bring more direction to the D
project.

Whether you're a CTO at a company using D or a hobbyist knocking
out code in your spare time, you need to have some confidence
that the community, the ecosystem, and the language have a
future, and especially be able to determine if that future is
aligned with your goals. Contributors need to know that their
contributions have value, and it helps if they can see beforehand
that any potential contributions that align with our interests
also align with theirs.

That's the sort of thing that this is all about. We aim to remedy
the project management shortcomings we've been suffering from for
a few years now. We're confident IVY will help us get there.

### The first planning update
And that brings me to the update. We had our first planning
meeting at 16:00 UTC on Friday, May 12, 2023. I'm not going to
summarize this or any future planning meetings in the same way I
summarize the monthlies and the quarterlies. I'm only going to
provide updates about what was decided. I also won't be posting
updates after every planning meeting, only for those meetings
that resulted in something to update (e.g., a decision reached,
or a plan of action made).

The following people attended this time:
* Walter Bright
* Martin Kinkelin
* Dennis Korpel
* Átila Neves
* Michael Parker

Ali, Iain, Robert, Razvan, and Mathias were unable to attend, but
they're up to speed.

Our goal for this meeting was to establish the first steps we
should take under our new workflow. We agreed on the following:

* The [vision document we published last
year](https://github.com/dlang/vision-document) is "on hold".
We're going to replace this with something else. I'll have more
about that in a future update.
* We need to establish a set of high-level goals and the tasks
and subtasks to achieve them. We have a solid set of data to work
with thanks to the feedback I received from my Gripes and Wishes
campaign. Over the next few days, each of us is going to think
about our high-level goals, specific projects or tasks, language
features, etc. that we'd like to see. The others will email me
their lists and I'll incorporate them into the existing dataset.
I'll publish it for all to see on Thursday. On Friday, we'll
start the task of sorting through everything, establishing our
goals, and prioritizing tasks. I anticipate this will take
multiple meetings to achieve.
* We need a place to publish our goals and task lists so that
potential contributors can decide how and if they'd like to
contribute, and so that interested parties can see our progress.
We agreed that our [GitHub projects
page](https://github.com/orgs/dlang/projects) is the place for
it. We all have homework to go through the documentation so we
can dive in headfirst when we're ready to get going with it.
* Our future planning meetings will take place on Fridays at
15:00 UTC.

## What you can do
Follow my planning updates. Keep an eye on the goals and task
lists once they're published. Tell us when you think we're
getting it right. Tell us when you think we're getting it wrong.
Tell us your ideas. The planning sessions are not a replacement
for the monthly and quarterly meetings. If you're using D in
production, commercially or free, I'm happy to bring you into the
quarterly meetings. And anyone is welcome to join us for one or
more monthly meetings to contribute ideas and feedback.

We're serious about this, folks, but we need help to make it
happen. If you'd like to pitch in, then just keep an eye out for
the right opportunity. Some time, somewhere, a task is bound to
pop up that aligns with your goals and motivations. Let me know
when you see it.