D Language Foundation Weekly Planning Session Update

ag0aep6g anonymous at example.com
Sun May 14 20:09:50 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 16:13:37 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> ### What is IVY?
> I said in the post that IVY is "a simple but innovative
> approach to workflow". Despite its simplicity, not one of us
> who participated in the program grokked how it could help us in
> one or two sessions. It took multiple sessions for the light
> bulbs to go off. It's one of those things that's obvious in
> hindsight, but might take a bit to get there. Given that, I
> expect that any attempt I make to describe it in a forum post
> would not be fruitful.
>
> I can say unequivocally that IVY is not some sort of
> "consulting propaganda". We went through 15 sessions. Some of
> us were skeptical in the beginning, but that disappeared as we
> went along. We didn't spend 20+ hours of our lives mindlessly
> listening to nonsense. What we have learned is going to help us
> do things we were clueless about before. From our perspective,
> having seen the program firsthand, there's no doubt in our
> minds about that.
>
> As we go along, you'll have more information available from
> your perspective to make more informed judgments about what it
> is and how we're applying it. It's not like IVY is Top Secret
> information. Our guest keynote speaker at DConf '23 is our IVY
> coach, Saeed Sabeti. His talk is going to be about IVY in the
> context of the D community. He and I are also discussing an
> idea to go beyond the talk with a special event at DConf that
> will bring even more clarity to those who participate.
>
> Sometime soon, I'm going to start reaching out to regular
> contributors and easing them into the IVY concept. Then I'll
> reach out to semi-regular contributors and then start looking
> for new contributors, with a goal of transforming
> "semi-regular" and "new" to "regular". Non-contributors don't
> need to know what IVY is, but even so, I'll be happy to help
> anyone interested to better understand it even if they have no
> intention of actively contributing to our core projects. You
> can accept it or reject it, choose to apply it or not. But we
> expect that those who do accept and apply it will see benefits
> in their own workflow.
>
> Let's leave it at this definition for now: At its heart, IVY is
> about communication. It's a means of aligning the goals of
> organizations and stakeholders by understanding the motivations
> of each.

That's a lot of words not answering the question in the heading.

The most tangible parts of those paragraphs:

* 'IVY is "a simple but innovative approach to workflow"',
* 'not some sort of "consulting propaganda"',
* 'not [...] Top Secret information',
* 'about communication',
* 'a means of aligning the goals of organizations and
stakeholders'.

I still have no clue what IVY is supposed to be. Your posts also
don't make me want to know. The impression I got so far is that
IVY is a whole lot of hot air.

I have to assume that you don't tell us what IVY actually means,
because telling people what IVY means is Ucora's product. It's
what they're making their money with, so you can't just give it
away for free. Fair enough.

But that raises the question: The DLF team went through the
program free of charge. If I, a lowly contributor, want to
experience the life-altering joy of IVY, do I have to pay? What
does it cost? Is all this over-excited hype talk just an ad for
what Ucora is selling?