D Language Foundation Weekly Planning Session Update

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon May 15 02:59:34 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 20:09:50 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:

> I still have no clue what IVY is supposed to be. Your posts
> also don't make me want to know. The impression I got so far is
> that IVY is a whole lot of hot air.
>
> I have to assume that you don't tell us what IVY actually
> means, because telling people what IVY means is Ucora's
> product. It's what they're making their money with, so you
> can't just give it away for free. Fair enough.
>
> But that raises the question: The DLF team went through the
> program free of charge. If I, a lowly contributor, want to
> experience the life-altering joy of IVY, do I have to pay? What
> does it cost? Is all this over-excited hype talk just an ad for
> what Ucora is selling?

I'm not saying more about it right now because it's pointless for
me to explain IVY in detail in a forum post. It took us multiple
sessions to understand how it's going to help us. I'm going to
have one-on-one chats with contributors to bring them onboard
because they'll need to know about it in order for all of us to
work with each other more effectively. There's not a pressing
need for non-contributors to understand it, but we'd still love
them for them to over time.

Anyone who wants to learn more about IVY is welcome to contact me
and we can set something up. I'll explain it in as many chat
sessions as we need, and we don't have to pay Ucora anything. But
I do want to focus on regular contributors first.

Ucora has put no restrictions on what we can say about IVY to
anyone. Their business is built on D and they want D to succeed.
Their Director of Organizational Development is going to be
teaching people about IVY at DConf and has offered to continue
working with us. Just as Symmetry is supporting us with financial
contributions, Ucora is supporting us with their organizational
development program. The sessions we completed were just the
beginning of this relationship.

Look, I'm putting these posts out there to let people know what's
going on. If they sound like "over-excited hype talk", it's
because I'm genuinely excited. If it doesn't interest you, that's
fine. I'm not trying to sell IVY to you. I'm trying to let you
know that we're making a concerted effort to solve the problems
we've been suffering from for years. IVY is just the tool we're
using to do it.

When I put out the call for Gripes and Wishes, [you said the
following](https://forum.dlang.org/post/rrwqvygxrgaitcvhoohh@forum.dlang.org):

"I have no reason to believe that this new channel is going to be
more effective than the previous ones. Also, I want my airing of
grievances to be public, not neatly hidden away in your personal
emails."

I'm publishing the feedback this week. On Friday, we'll start
going through it all to sort it, prioritize it, and assign it.
What we learned in the IVY program will help us do that more
effectively.